Thursday 6 November 2014

Just a Quick Update
Six days into NaNoWriMo, how is everyone doing? 

This is my first attempt at taking part so I didn't really know how it would be. However, I've managed to write every day but each day has been different as you would expect. I got off to a flying start at the weekend as there was a lot of football on the television (!!) but Monday wasn't so good. I had my usual writing group meeting in the afternoon and my first attendance at a new monthly critique group Write Fiction in the evening. I wasn't at the first meeting due to holidays so I didn't want to miss it. There, I met another NaNoWriMo newbie, Sue McDonagh, and she is now one of my NaNo writing buddies so that was good. It just meant that I had to make up by writing more words on the following days.

Here are some facts about my week:

  • Total number of words written so far:                       10,994
  • Average number of words written per day:                1,832
  • Number of days left:                                                        25
  • If I keep up the same average daily average, I should complete my 50,000 words on November 28th - 2 days early!
So, have I kept to my pledges that I posted last week? Let me remind you what they were:

  1. FB comments, Tweets and blog posts must be kept to an absolute minimum (...if at all!)
  2. I must just write and not edit.
  3. If I get stuck on one particular part of the story, I must move on and write another part.
  4. I must try to write every day.
YES to 2. and 4. 
  • Not editing has been hard. I'm itching to get back in there and improve the writing but apart from correcting the odd word her and there, I haven't edited.
  • Writing every day has been good as I have immersed myself in the story and am getting to know my characters better.
N/A to 3. as yet
  • At the moment, the story is flowing quite well but I know this will change as I get further into the novel. I'm concentrating on the 1965 story to start with. Having a rough plan was definitely as good idea.
And then there's 1. - PARTLY
  • I don't think I have been on Facebook, Twitter or reading Blogs as much as usual but I have been on, especially when I have finished writing for the day and updated my NaNo word count.
Thank you to everyone who has sent me encouraging comments to keep going. Writers are just the most supportive group, aren't they?

Thank you for reading my blog. Please leave a comment especially if you are or have been a NaNoWriMo participant. How have you got on this week? What have been the stumbling blocks for you? What has helped you stay on track?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great progress.

    Although not doing Nano I've managed quite a bit of writing recently. The rotten weather has helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not so easy to write when sunshine and the prospect of being outdoors are both beckoning. Writing has slowed a little over the weekend but hoping to catch up over the next few days. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete