Monday 21 November 2016

A Cache of Flashes
Published by Black Pear Press

It's that time of year again when Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe launches its annual flash fiction anthology. The anthology, A Cache of Flashes, contains a selection of flash fictions that were submitted to the competition earlier in the year. In the opinion of the judges, the best flashes have to invite one into another world, intrigue us, make us wonder...we want to understand the characters, learn about their lives and feel their emotions. They commented that every word must count, and what is not said is as important as what is.

This is the third year I've attended to read out my flashes and it was good to see familiar faces and meet new writers, too. As it did last year, the launch took place in Drummonds Bar in The Swan with Two Nicks pub. In this anthology, both my stories involve ghosts but the ghosts are very different. In The Empty Chair, the spirit of a much loved drinking partner is more of a reassuring presence rather than a frightening spectre. In The House Viewing, on the other hand, a young couple are completely spooked by a menacing crone who is haunting the house they go to view. 


I find that reading in front of fellow writers is always daunting but I'm sure I was not alone in appreciating the applause at the end of each reading. Hearing each story read aloud made them come alive in a different way from reading them on the page. Again, I was impressed with the wide range of subject matter and the variety of the writing styles of the authors. Whereas I try to intersperse writing short pieces in amongst longer stories and, currently, my novel, some writers told me that they write flash fiction exclusively. I thoroughly enjoyed my return visit to Worcester and I look forward to writing more flash fiction over the coming months. 

Do you write Flash Fiction? Do you need different skills from those you need to write a short story? A novel? How easy is it to transfer those skills? I'd love to hear what you think.

*** SHORT STORY NEWS
My short story I Want Gets Nothing was one of the new stories published on Alfie Dog Fiction yesterday. If you'd like to read it, you may download it HERE
Tracey lives in the shadow of her outgoing sister who can do no wrong in her mother;'s eyes. When Sharon buys a beautiful gold leather designer handbag on payday, Tracey becomes obsessed with owning one for herself. But how can she? She's just a school girl.

Thank you for reading my blog. You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBayLit and on my Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page.

6 comments:

  1. I have only attempted a few flash fiction pieces, it's definitely a different skill to that of writing longer fiction - and I'm not sure I have that skill! Well done reading yours out! And congratulations on having your story published on Alfie Dog Fiction. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. I'm amazed when I read other writers' flash fiction stories how much they can pack into so few words. Hope novel 2 is going well now you've had it back from your editor. :-)

      Delete
  2. I write a few flash pieces for competitions and quite enjoy them as a change from longer pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Patsy. They're very different, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. The idea of reading in front of an audience is more daunting for me than the actuality. Once I get going, I'm fine. You certainly look confident! And huge congratulations ion getting a story published!
    I don't write flash fiction so can't comment - I simply admire people who can focus on more than one writing project at a time. Keeping tabs on my current novel is as much as I can handle! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I've written fewer short stories and flash fiction pieces since I've been writing and editing my novel. I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and am not a multi-tasker!

      Delete