Tuesday 11 July 2017

Debut Novels
It's only two days until I leave for the RNA Conference 2017 at Telford and I'm looking forward to catching up with lots of writer friends whom I met in person for the first time last year at Lancaster. It made me think about how many of these have now published their first novels and the list is growing weekly. I can only imagine the excitement they feel as publication day looms and they send their books into the big wide world. Every time I read the news of another debut novel, I'm delighted for the writer; it motivates me to work harder and get back to the WiP. Not all the debut novels I read are of the romance genre but as a member of the wonderful RNA New Writers' Scheme, it's so inspiring to know that many of debut novelists started out on that, too. Over the summer, I'm hoping to invite writers onto the blog to talk about how they got their first novels published. Two debut novelist interviews have already been arranged so look out for them over the next few weeks.


'Not Thomas' is the debut adult novel of Wendy White, writing as Sara Gethin. Her book was published by Honno in June and is already receiving excellent reviews. I wrote about attending the launch of the novel in my last blog post and told you that book is told through the point of view of five-year-old Tomos. Since then, I have read the book and was blown away by the writing which takes the reader on a roller coaster of emotions. The character of little Tomos stayed with me a long time after I'd finished reading it. I won't say anything else but let you find out more from the interview in a few weeks' time.


The second interview will be with debut novelist, Susanna Bavin. Her novel, 'The Deserter's Daughter'was published on June 22nd by Allison and Busby. I met Sue for the first time last year at Conference after enjoying her friendship and support on social media for a long while before that. I'm well over half way through her family saga set in 1920s Manchester and loving it. Sue is a graduate of the NWS and I'm looking forward to hearing all about her first few weeks as a published novelist when we meet up at Telford.


No post about debut novelists would be complete without a mention of the news that broke this week about writing friend, Vanessa Savage. Her novel, 'The Murder House', a haunting psychological thriller, will be published by Sphere and I can't wait to read it.
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/sphere-signs-debut-crime-writer-vanessa-savage-six-figure-deal-582246




- What debut novel has impressed you? What genre is it? Please leave your recommendations as comments and I'll add to my To Be Read pile! 
- Are you a debut novelist? How did you feel when you saw your book in print for the first time?

Thank you for reading my blog. You may also follow me on Twitter @JanBayLit and on Jan Baynham Writer Facebook page.

9 comments:

  1. Jan, how lovely of you to include The Deserter's Daughter in your blog. I'm looking forward to seeing you again at the RNA Conference, along with other friends. The NWS is a wonderful support to writers as they set out and I know many writers who have benefited from it. RNA members are so generous in their support of one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much has happened in your writing life since we last met, Sue. Congratulations! Like you, I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone at the weekend. I'm all packed!

      Delete
  2. Hope you have wonderful time meeting up with everyone, Jan. Missing out this year but will be there in 2018 for certain.Off to buy The Deserter's Daughter'. I agree about Not Thomas - a very poignant read! Will keep a look out for Vanessa's novel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith. The Conference was wonderful, meeting up with old friends and making new ones. There were with lots of inspiring talks and I learned loads! I'm sure you will love Susanne's book and I can't wait for Vanessa's, either. 'Poignant' is just the right word for Sara's.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to say - it will be great if you attend the Conference next year in Leeds. I'm sure you will love it!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for mentioning Not Thomas here, Jan. I'm really looking forward to featuring in one of your interviews soon, so thank you very much for inviting me to take part.
    Have a lovely time at the RNA conference and catch up soon,
    Wendy aka Sara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I loved every minute of the Conference. I'm looking forward to publishing your interview next week. It will be great to spread the word about your wonderful book.

      Delete
  4. I've been away, Jan, hence my late response.
    As ever, your post poses interesting questions. I could name a myriad debut novels that have entranced me. I adore Sara's first foray into adult fiction with Not Thomas. And I shall now check out Susanna's book!

    One novel that does stand out, as an actual first, is How to be Brave by Louise Beech. It's beautifully written & has a special resonance for me as it deals with a mother coping with her young daughter's devastating Type 1 diabetes diagnosis. My youngest granddaughter became Type 1 diabetic at the age of four so HTBB has a direct meaning for me.
    Hope you had a wonderful & rewarding time at the RNA conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. It was my second RNA Conference and I came back felling inspired again this year, wanting to get back to my book.
      Thank you for recommending Louise's book. As well as admiring her writing, I can see why it resonated so much with you.

      Delete